Monday, January 12, 2009

Cowgirls Don't Cry - Ride, Baby Ride

There is a new song out and I really like it; probably because it makes me think of when I was a little girl and it pulls all those sentimental heart strings. Yet, at the same time I find it strangely motivational.

The Song is "Cowgirls Don't Cry" by Brooks and Dunn... (watch the great video and hear the awesome twang of country music at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prCiLeP0cbg).

The song begins by talking about a father buying a horse for his baby girl and teaching her a life lesson... The lyrics read:

Cowgirls Don't cry, Ride, baby, ride.
Lessons in life are gonna show you in time
Soon enough your gonna know why.
It's gonna hurt every now and then
If you fall, get back on again
Cowgirls don't cry.

I remember when I was a little girl and I jumped horses. I was at one of my lessons with my teacher Molly Rollo and riding my horse (actually her horse) Yo-Yo. (yes, those were really their names, fantastic don't you think?!?) I was riding in the indoor arena and Molly was standing in the middle as I trotted around her and I was jumping a little. At the end of my lesson she added another pole to the jump which made it higher than I had ever jumped before. I got nervous and she reassured me, "Sara, if you fall it isn't a big deal. It's like PILLOWS down here!" She said as she stomped her boot into the tilled dirt. Well... I tried it... and I fell. As she came over to check on me I looked up at her through teary eyes and said, "IT ISN'T LIKE PILLOWS!!! THAT HURT!!" I didn't want to get back on, my lesson time was over and I was done! But she made me, she put me back up in that saddle and together Yo-Yo and I jumped the highest I had ever jumped before.

Like the song says, it's not only a horse thing, it's a life thing. It's something I have learned over and over again in my life. My family and I have been through some doozies. Yet, we have never EVER been allowed to roll over and quit. We have always been taught (and shown) to get back on and RIDE, BABY RIDE.

Another part of the lyrics read:

He taught her a lesson that she learned
Maybe a little too well.

It's true. I might be a little too good at this. I'm the oldest of six kids. I have always had to get back up and get back on, so to speak. I'm glad I have. I have done a lot in my life because of it. I've been groomed and molded into a hard ass so to speak. I wear my emotions on my sleeve sometimes... but usually I suck it up, I have to. It's what I've been taught to do.

I remember the first time someone told me, "It's ok honey, you don't ALWAYS have to be tough." I cried. I still cry when I remember hearing that.

You know, cowgirls DO cry... and that's ok. Sometimes they don't... But one thing they ALWAYS do is get back up, put their ass back in the saddle and RIDE. RIDE BABY RIDE.

And if I can make one suggestion... Ride the hell out of it. That's what makes it fun. :)

No comments: