Thursday, February 26, 2009

Watch Out World! I'm Hitting the Road!!!

Tonight I'm sitting at work and planning trips. That's right, plural... tripS.

Starting this weekend I will be out of town for approx three weeks.

I get to spend a few days down in Southern Utah... I have been researching hikes in Zions for at least a couple hours tonight and I'm getting really excited. I am excited to see it and take in the "spirituality" of the area that so many people talk about.... not to mention how stoked I am to get to wear sandals!!!

I have picked out a few hikes for the family... the must-do fairly simple hikes, Emerald Pools, Narrows Riverwalk and the Weeping wall.

My coworker showed me Angels Landing. I'm captivated. Sure, people have died there and the warnings keep telling me that it is a STRENUOUS hike. I have watched youtube videos of it and no doubt it's insane. But it's captivated me. I MUST do this hike. I know it will be incredibly challenging and I will probably think I am going to die... but I know the end result will be absolutely breathtaking and it will only be bolstered by a great sense of accomplishment. I am contemplating making Owen wake up really early and go with me... I need to do this hike, sooner than later hopefully.

(seriously folks, google/youtube "Angels Landing in Zions National Park" -- it's amazing)

When I get back I quickly leave for Winter Park, Colorado. The ski team has nationals and we will be there for a week. While I'm gone I need to finish my courses... finish all three 30-page papers and study for my finals.

The day after I get back from Colorado I have to take all three finals in the morning and that afternoon fly out for Paris/Morocco!!!!

I have been researching hotels all night long and the possibilities are endless!! Do I care more about location, food, historic accuracy, cleanliness, friendly staff, etc... Shoot, just give me a place I won't get shot, somewhere that will help if I need it and dosen't have bugs.... How do I type that into expedia?? :)

I am getting more and more excited. I keep reading reviews and seeing things like "Snake charmers, monkey men and markets by day and dinner food stands by night." or "You will be required to eat with your hands. If you can't master this they may offer you eating utensils, if they have any." or "You will be captivated by new sights, sounds and smells. Be prepared to bargain for the goods, they will be offended if you don't." and "Don't be suprised if you are invited to a personal residence for dinner. This happens often and is a sign of respect and hospitality. Once you are there be prepared to be offered huge amounts of delicious food. Don't try to pay them for the evenings festivities, this will only highly offend. Instead, take a small gift; this is the kindest thing you could do to someone offering such hospitality."

Honestly, I can't wait. I'm ready to explore. I'm itching to experiance what the world has to offer.

Sure, these next three weeks will be INSANELY busy... but well worth it. I can't wait.

I'll take thousands of pictures I'm sure. I'll keep you all updated... You all know how I love bragging about what I think is cool. haha.

P.S. Don't think you can go rob the place... I have roommates now you know. :)

1 comment:

becky said...

it is so awesome that you get to travel. That makes me a little jealous. Someday I would loke to travel a little more.