Monday, February 16, 2009

LEGS . SORE . WHEW . P90X

Yesterday was kind of a rushed day and I wasn't able to get in a workout... I hadn't worked out in a couple days and I was feeling it... not to mention my caloric defecit was taking a severe hit.

Poppa suggested I take a p90x video to work with me. I agreed it was a good idea. He suggested the "plyometric" video. Now, I've done a few p90x videos already. I'm not following the dedicated plan but instead using the videos to supplement when I can't get to the gym or am simply sick of the same routine. So, I thought I knew what to expect.

When Poppa gave me the DVD's for Christmas he put on the cover one of the taglines from the workouts, "Do your best, forget the rest." That's how I've looked at p90x ever since I started. Obviously I'm not going to be able to do all of this, especially not right away... but I do what I can and I am working on it.

Last night the plyo video KICKED MY TRASH!! There were times when I chuckled out loud at some of the things that he wanted us to do. Have you ever tried to do jump squats for 60 seconds straight and then go straight into tuck jumps for 60 seconds straight?? Oh, and all that is right in the middle of other insane stuff... Yeah, this lasts 60 minutes.

Honestly, it was brutal... but I loved it. I like feeling like I pushed my body as hard as I can and on top of that I love that I burn a ton of calories doing it. Today I'm feeling it. My quads are SUPER SORE. I worked out today and know that it helped to pump out some of the lactic acid... I can't even IMAGINE how sore I would be if I hadn't worked out!! Uggh!!

I'm glad that tomorrow is "Mermaid Class." (For all of you that don't know... Mermaid class = deep water aerobics. Mom started calling it Mermaid Class back when I started bringing her with me. Deep water aerobics can be done with a float belt, or without - like I do it. Sounds easy?? Try treading water for 60 minutes while doing exercises that try to drown you. It's a workout if you make it one.)

The low impact and fluid movements of Mermaid Class will bring peace to my soul, not to mention quads.

Another perk of doing a p90x workout at midnight? I updated my facebook status to inform everyone of my insanity and got awesome support from some guys that I totally respect, especially when it comes to working out... Praise is definately great motivation.

2 comments:

becky said...

I always wondered about those dvd's and if they were really that good. Even though you are crazy sore do you love them? It sounds like you do. Where do you work out at? I go to the AF Golds. It would be fun to meet up. I have always wanted to try the water aerobics classes too but haven't. I should have when I was pregnant. It probably would have been really good on my back.

Unknown said...

I do really enjoy the workouts. They are intense! I have a membership at 24 hour fitness in Provo as well. Water aerobics is at the Provo Rec center. I tried the water aerobics back in december and have been hooked ever since. It is just something totally different... a good change from the normal gym/DVD workouts.