Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Christmas Questionaire

I just saw this list on another delightful blog. I don't technically know the writer, but I LOVE reading her blog, even tho we have never met. I have been in her house tho (I just realized how CREEPY that sounds) and through her home and her blog I know without a doubt that she is awesome....

I liked this list of questions, I think it's fun to hear about other people's holidays.... so, here we go!

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?

Usually wrapping paper. Every now and then a gift bag can sneak in, but I like wrapping things. Its a nice mix of Left Brain and Right brain.... very orderly and precise while still being creative.

2. Real tree or artificial tree?

I have a fake tree, pre-lit... and it's awesome. I love how easy it is to set up. I can even carry the box for it all by myself with minimal grunting and groaning. I love the big impact for not very much effort. Besides, Poppa is a fireman. Real trees = fire hazards....

3. When do you put up the tree?

I shoot for right after Thanksgiving. It very rarely happens that early... but thats what I shoot for.

4. When do you take down the tree?

I try for the first couple days of January. Usually its about a week or so longer... but I hope I never let it stay up till Valentines day. haha.

5. Do you like eggnog?

I am sure I have tried eggnog, but I don't really remember. So I guess that dosen't mean I love it! haha. I don't really remember my family ever drinking it... just not our thing I guess.

6. Do you have a stocking? What does it look like?

I have two stockings and my parents still have possession of them both. Poppa's mom made most of us knitted stockings when we were born. They all have our names on them and are in Christmas colors. Since I am the oldest kid she made mine first (of course) and it is normal size... about what a four year old would wear if she were to wear a knee high stocking. From then on out they just got bigger. Owen's can hold pretty much the entire northern hemisphere. My stocking is usually filled with two things (thats all that can fit) and then the rest of it is just piled next to it. haha. The other stockings we have are really ornate. They have sequins and the whole bit. Mine has a snowman I think.... that one is usually just for show...
I haven't done the whole stocking thing at my house yet, I still go to the parents for Christmas morning so why do a stocking here?

7. Hardest person to buy for?

I usually don't have a hard time buying/making presents for people. This year the hardest part about presents was trying to figure out WHO to buy/make for.... do you buy a present for a guy who you dated for a couple months, then broke up with -twice, he says you were officially dating, you never realized it was official, although wanted it to be official, now its just all sorts of messed up?? Yeah, still don't know about that one....

8. Easiest person to buy for?

Myself. It never fails, I usually get myself something grand during the Christmas season. It's probably my lack of ability to buy things that I really really want/need and just doing all this shopping makes me realize how much I need/want it.

9. Do you have a nativity scene?

Yes. My last count was three. Darcy Logan has a ton of them and I always love looking at them all... I realized that I wanted nativities in my house, just like Darcy. Although I dont think I will ever have that many and that is fine because I don't have room for them all! My three right now are a good mix, one very elegant white FULL nativity (i'm talking like 18 items or so), a set that was hand painted by my mom/sisters and a great little wooden set that looks unbreakable yet adorable.

10. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards?

I try to mail out Christmas cards and letters every year. I like touching base with everyone and being able to send a little note out. I also LOVE getting Christmas cards/letters from everyone else.

11. Most memorable gift you ever received?

Honestly, I can't really remember. I know that I have recieved many many gifts that I have loved, but I guess I just get all wrapped up in what I'm giving everyone else. I love seeing people open presents.

12. Favorite Christmas movie?

Jim Carey's THE GRINCH. That show is awesome!! It makes me laugh so much. Other than that, A Christmas Story. Both of those shows have great lines to quote.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?

Um, usually about a month or so in advance. I don't do TONS of shopping... I tend to make most things. So, usually with enough time to be able to get everything made. Thanksgiving usually triggers my thought process to start working on things tho.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?

I don't think I have ever regifted a Christmas present to another Christmas present.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?

I love the little clementine oranges that always hit the stores this time of year. Those little things are great.

16. Lights on the tree?

Yep, pre-lit. Wahoo!

17. Favorite Christmas song?

Milk and Cookies by Clint Black. That song is on a family classic Christmas CD that I think we got at Taco Bell in the mid 90s. haha!! But seriously, that CD has some great songs.... and none better than Milk and Cookies.

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?

I stay at home for the actual day at Christmas, I'm lucky and all my family is in town. However, the past three years I have left either Christmas night or the day after Christmas to travel. I have to take advantage of Christmas Break!!

19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer?

Um, probably....

20. Angel on top of the tree or a star?

Star. Nothing fancy. One day I hope to get some type of heirloom thing...

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?

Christmas morning. My parents tree is always visited by Santa and we all have a big Christmas morning up there. It's awesome. Especially with the little kids. We have this tradition of getting Christmas pajamas on Christmas Eve to wear on Christmas morning. It's never been like a present thing... more like a "ok, they are hot off the sewing machine... here ya go!!" or "We are still working feversishly... they will be done in time for you to put them on in the morning." haha.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?

How grouchy everyone gets!! Come on people, its the holidays... aren't they supposed to be joyous?

23. Favorite ornament theme or color?

My tree is all white, silver, gold and glass. I love it. Very elegant. I have been able to incorporate a few ornaments that are gifts or what not, those are all really special to me.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?

We don't have Christmas dinner. On Christmas Eve there is always a huge crock pot of BBQ pork and another one of potatos going.... eat as you can! There is elfing to do!! Then on Christmas day Poppa makes a huge bisquits and gravy "breakfast" when we are done with the festivities... usually around 1 pm. Then we snack on left overs, cheeseballs, vegi trays, etc all day long. It's awesome.

24. What do you want for Christmas this year?

I want to see all the kids open their presents. Little kids are so stinkin fun on Christmas morning.

26. Who is the most likely to respond to this?

Um, anyone who wants to.

27. Favorite Christmas tradition?

I love that my family still does presents for everyone. Everyone gets something for everyone else, even if it is something small. For example, my little bro always gives shaving cream (for face or legs) to everyone... Its great! I like that we still do something special for each and every person... there is a lot of love going around.


I'm not really sure why there are only 27 questions. Kind of a wierd number... haha. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

1 comment:

becky said...

That was fun. You don't give just the one word answers.