Thursday, April 2, 2009

FULL BEAUDRY

There is no doubt that the Beaudry Family is a unique one, a wonderfully delicious unique.

Some people don't like it, similar to how they don't like the uniqueness of ear wax...

But some people, most people, LOVE IT.

I have found that most people either LOVE or HATE the Beaudrys, there is very rarely middle ground... Once my Mom told me insight that she got from one of her friends. What she said was profound... I'll paraphrase it like this: "He thinks it is because we are so comfortable being ourselves. Some people are challenged by that, and when they can't accept it, they try to push it away - push it down - whatever it takes to make them ok... and therefore, us not ok."

Here's an example.

Early last fall I decided to take my family on a hike... All of us (more than a dozen of us) started out for Stewart Falls, up Provo Canyon. We huffed and puffed, stopped for breaks, ate snacks, took pictures and finally made it there. We quickly stripped off our shoes and enjoyed the little stream that winds its way down from the large 30 foot waterfall. Some of us started finding our way to the waterfall, exploring along the way. There were quite a few people up there, some relaxing, some taking pictures, etc. We were respectful and stayed out of the way so people could take their scenic pictures, some of us took pictures of families in front of the falls, we chatted, played and offered words of encouragment and advice to our fellow hikers.... then, when the time was right we ventured to the waterfall ourselves. We quickly snapped a few pictures, the token "yes, I made it here" smiles and such... then the boys decided they wanted a few pictures of their own. Owen, Poppa and Tuffy all stripped off their shirts and headed under the falls!! They marched underneath it and even stood under the chilly falls with arms raised and flexed so we could take pictures of their "muscles". As they did so we laughed, cheered and they screamed as their heads froze from the cold water slamming against their skulls. We got some great pictures and had a wonderful time... We were in "Full Beaudry" mode.

No one else did it, at least not while we were there. We did get some crazy looks... maybe it was because they wouldn't be caught dead underneath that cold water, maybe it was the hoops and hollers, maybe it was the fact that (heaven forbid) the boys didn't have shirts on (this is Utah County you know)....

We get reactions like this a lot. Astonishment that we do some of the things we do. Praise for being so bold to say what needs to be said or having the gusto to get something done; or disgust for going against the norm, standing out of a crowd, embracing what may be different but no less wonderful.

My family are machines, big strong machines, work horses. We are, we get stuff done. Are we busy?? Hell yeah, we are ALWAYS busy... but we are always busy doing something incredible.

The door is always open, figuratively and physically. Honestly, only in the past couple months did my parents start locking the front door to the house. Honestly, the door is ALWAYS open.

I remember being at my parent's house one night when my dad was coaching college hockey. It was 11:45 pm and there was a knock at the door. We all looked at eachother wierdly, usually people just walk in... the fact that there was a knock was more strange than the fact that someone was there at such a late hour. Pops answered the door, there were mumbled words and then a hockey player emerged, freshly broken up with his girl friend, in tears and needing to talk to someone. He came to his coach, who most likely offered some incredibly helpful words of encouragement, sympathy and advice, and before long they both joined us in the living room to watch some rediculous TV show into the early hours of the morning.... We all left that night, happy and laughing.... "Full Beaudry" style.

My family has always taken in strays. Since I was little I have memories of my parents adopting the local kids who didn't have anywhere else to land in the afternoon/evening/weekends. Most of the time I was grateful, now I realize what a blessing it was to be able to have the best of both worlds - be at home and be with friends... they never wanted to go to their house, mine was always MUCH cooler.

Sometimes it made things hard. I remember times when I would get jealous of the attention my friends got from my parents... they are MY parents, damn it. I'm sick of sharing. And then the time that I broke up with my boyfriend and had to include "this includes my family too. If we are done then you have to be done with them too. No showing up for dinner, no instant messaging my mom, no more texting with my siblings, no babysitting my brother... if we are done then that includes my family."

Why so many strays? Obviously something attracted them. Maybe the saying "if you feed a cat they will never leave" is true, we did feed them all the time. But I think it is because of the welcoming and accepting attitude. That is what Full Beaudry is all about... We have always been that way, warm and loving. Sure, we are goofy, opinionated, loud and irreverent... A LOT. But I think that is part of the charm. When you are with the Beaudrys it is apparent that you are accepted as you, you can be yourself and be loved because of it - it's always been that way.

My cousin laughs as he talks about how it is a good thing his dad married an adopted girl, since she would never have time to be with her own family... ours takes over. He's right, we do take over. Our family is big, loud, dedicated and devoted with every fiber of our soul. There isn't room for much else, nor would we want there to be. There is always something going on... someone to watch perform, a party, a get together, someone that needs help, etc. It sucks you in, you can't get away. Those of us that have grown up with it sometimes need a bit of a distance, but after a quick break we run back... those that are new to it can't seem to get enough.

I was talking about all this with my sister the other day. We talked about what it means to be a Beaudry. We both agreed that while our last names may change, we will forever be part of what a dear friend coined as "Clan Beaudry." I wouldn't want it any other way.

What does it mean to be a Beaudry? It means to live your life fully, to love abundantly, to learn and grow, to be open and honest, to be kind and accepting, to send good into the world and accept it when it comes back to you.

What does it take to BE a Beaudry? Well... it's a lifestyle, it's a mind set. It's something that takes over the more you live it.

I love my name... I love being a Beaudry. I secretly adore that fact that some of my friends (who aren't around my family a lot) call me "Beaudry" or "Beauds" or "Beau", a nickname usually reserved for my Pops or bro during their sports days... I love my name and pray every day that I won't have to give it up for another last name that can't compare. What would I do if I had to give up Beaudry to be a Smith?? Ohh geez... I will definatly be one of those girls that has four names, First - Middle - Maiden - Married name... Shoot, maybe I'll hyphenate so I get to spread the wealth... Beaudry is a fantastically great name.

4 comments:

Going Full Hippie said...

this is great, I'm gonna link it.

gg said...

Brought tears to my eyes...and of course a new facebook status update...at least as soon as your poppa gets his just congrats!

guardian98 said...

I think I'm gonna have to hang with the Beaudrys more often! I sure hope that I can be as good a writer as you and Abby some day!

Unknown said...

Ah, Pops... I hear the talent for writting is genetic!! :)