Thursday, April 23, 2009

Self Reliance

Lately I have felt this strange motivation to be more self reliant... and by that I'm talking about food storage, being able to survive without running to the store, being prepared for whatever may come my way, etc.

My awesome friend showed me a great website that talks (and teaches) all about food storage and how to create a yearly stock of food that you will ACTUALLY eat. Honestly, who wants to live off cracked wheat, sugar and water for a year!!??? Any girl that puts peanut butter and no-bake cheesecake mixes in her food storage is a girl I will listen to!!

I think we are going to go buy a chest freezer soon... and I am getting excited to fill it up.

I am also going to start planting garden type plants in my flower beds, I'm thinking raspberry bushes by my climbing vines, a rhubarb plant in the back by the lilac bush, strawberries lining the walkway, some peas climbing the fence out back, lettuce and radishes next to the tulips... get my drift?

Oh, and my latest crazy idea.... 3 or 4 chickens out back. Converting the "junk shed" into a small coop and fencing off a "chicken run" alongside the house. Owen isn't convinced. I think it would be awesome to have fresh, natural, organic eggs. Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe it's just the country girl coming out. Maybe it's brilliant.

2 comments:

Jim Family said...

brilliant!!! yay! yay! yay!!!

becky said...

I can't do chickens but the rest is fantastic. i have a cold storage and I am getting excited to put up more shelving. And I have the same thought of it has to be edible food. So we have stuff like mac n cheese, muffin mixes, brownies, soups and other stuff that we eat. As I get more shelves I am excited to get it filled with more healthy things. I also want to do raised gardens on the side of my house. We will see how that goes.