Thursday, March 12, 2009

I'm a Country Girl with a City Girl Attitude

Today I ventured out to Versaille. It is a palace that was built out away from the city, now it's surrounded by town, but still stands in all it's glory. It is very lavish and the gardens are GORGEOUS. I would say the most impressive parts of this huge place are the grounds. I walked through the entire thing and saw many of the rooms that are now open for tour. The whole thing is very gaudy and over the top... tapestries, gold leafing, murals on ceilings, huge portrait paintings, etc.

When I was done inside I went out the back and started my way into the gardens; they have over 250 acres of gardens... I wish I could have explored all of them.

They have the typical english gardens with everything manicured and designed to the hilt. They have fountains and winding pathways through angled bushes and shrubbery. There are statues that line the pathways. They even have the "grand canal" that used to stage navy battles, today I saw a few guys practicing crew/rowing.

Zannah told me to NOT MISS Marie Antoinette's domain... this girl was spoiled... and as queen she was able to do whatever she wanted. What did she choose? An entire working farm so that she could "play shepherdess"... Today I went to her little play land. I wish I would have had more time there, as it was I closed the place down. Literally, there was a gate that I'm pretty sure they forgot to lock, thank goodness, or else I would have been locked in there right now.... I'm pretty sure.

She had an entire other "humble" house that is still incredibly luxurious... She had her many gardens, that appeared unmanicured compaired to the other ones. She had rivers and streams, animals (sheep, chickens, fish, horses, rabbits, etc). She had an entire little village built with houses, water mills, towers, etc. It was a fully functioning farm town, they used the produce and things in the kitchens at the palace. It even had a fully functioning dairy at one time....

Today it's simply standing there, it has some of the animals still, but it's just standing there... waiting for me to explore it. Today I went and found a little bench for myself and ate my lunch (of cheese, bread and fruit) and listened to the birds chirping and the water running. Then I went and explored her little village. I tried to take self-timed pictures, that was a bit difficult... but I think I got a few!

Honestly, I loved it. I loved being out in the "country" and I totally see why Marie-Antoinette made this little place. I understand why she got sick of the pagentry of the palace and needed a place to escape. I was only in the palace about an hour and I understood!! :)

Apparently I'm a country girl.... I like to be out in the open. I like to be in the peaceful surroundings and hear myself think, hence loving the gardens today.

Zannah informed me of this country girl vs city girl thing yesterday... She told me that I'm a country girl with a city girl attitude. I like being in the country, I like the simpleness and the openness of it all. However, I like being busy, I like being on the move - thats the city girl part of things.

After thinking that I was going to be locked in there when I realized how late it was I quickly hiked my way back out of the gardens and didn't see a single soul until I passed back out the gates at the palace. I told ya I closed the place down!!

I hopped on the train and connecting metro to get back to Zannah's apartment. On my 45 minute ride home I got two dinner invitations... Both were from men who were friendly, definately friendly, yet about 40 years old and apparently thought I would be interested. Instead, I politely declined... as well as I could (only the second guy spoke much english and even at that our conversation was rough). Another great thing about Paris, it is good for the self esteem... It never hurts to know that SOMEONE (even if they could be your father) thinks you are cute enough to invite you to dinner, or a late night drink, or breakfast in the morning.... yep, they tried it all.

Another great thing about today?? I navigated the metro and train system all by myself!! Sure, Zannah gave me good directions... but still, I did it!

With all that being said... we are leaving for Morocco in the morning. Africa, here we come!!

Next update?? From Marrakesh, Morocco!!

2 comments:

Jim Family said...

sounds like fun!!! but for real, come home.

gg said...

I just can't say it enough....being smart, $10,000, being beautiful, $20,000, being smart and beautiful as Sara in Paris?, --- priceless