Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Another Ski Town

Ski towns are always an adventure. I'm here for a week, into it about 3 days so far. We are staying at this quirky little hotel, honestly it makes strange noises constantly. It has a little resturant downstairs that feeds us breakfast and dinner cafeteria style. It is all wood paneling and very old school - think Grandpa's cabin. Everything is placed very awkwardly. For example, to enter my bathroom you step up about eight inches, the door arches open barely missing the toilet. The sink is on the right, but you have to squeeze past the toilet to get to it. To sit on the toilet you need to keep the door open so you can angle a bit and poke your knees out the door so they don't hit the wall (please remember, I'm only 5'2''). Once you close the door you can step past and enter the bathtub/shower from the end. That's right, the bathtub is in a little keyhole from the bathroom and you enter from the short end. Now, here's the funny part.... you would think that by entering at the end the faucet and showerhead would be at the other end, right?? WRONG. It's smack dab in the middle of the wall on the left. Now, some huge jetted bathtubs think it's fancy to put the faucet in the middle of the side... but this thing?? Not at all there... it's just awkward. I literally let out a laugh when I saw it.

Today I had breakfast with one of my skiers, he asked what room I am in... when I told him he said, "That isnt the haunted one is it?" It's not, but it didnt suprise me at all that this hotel has a haunted room.... it fits right in.

So, the hotel is funky... the internet is very tempermental and the front desk closes from 8:00 pm to 7:00 am, they don't have a gym (but you can buy a pass to the one down the street for the discounted rate of $15 a day...); but don't let all this fool you, it's pretty cool here!

The mountains are GORGEOUS. The skies are bluer than I have seen in a long time. It's warm enough to only wear a sweatshirt and snow pants to the hill and even though we are at elevation I'm hacking it quite well. I think being up here so often is really paying off, my cardio is catching up a bit.

I am stressing a bit because I have to finish three 30 page papers and another 5-7 page paper and study for three finals (to take monday morning before leaving for Morocco/Paris). I just really dont have the motivation to do homework!! I'm trying tho... and I'm just about done with all my research and I'm going to start writing soon.

Hopefully the creative juices will flow. My friend Robert (the artist, now video game designer) taught me a trick. I was having troubles writing one night... it just wouldn't flow. He told me to doodle or write the alphabet really large on a piece of paper and then go back to it. I tried it and it worked!! He said that writing, art, etc... it's all a physical act and sometimes it just gets caught. Well, regardless of the reasons it worked! I have a lot of writing to do this week, there may be a lot of doodle pages laying around my hotel room... but all for getting to Africa homework free!!! It will SOOO be worth it.

On that note, I'm headed off to the slopes. I'll do homework tonight. :) haha (see what I mean).

1 comment:

becky said...

what town are you in? good luck with your room and your homework