Saturday, July 4, 2009

Vegas, Baby

Yes, I spent 10 days in Las Vegas. However, I only got a total of about 4-5 hours at the pool, never went to a club and escaped with only one drink by the pool. It wasn't your "typical" trip to Vegas.

I went down to work a hockey showcase for two weeks, I do this every year and as always I really enjoy it. I have missed the ice, hockey and the people I get to work with every year.

Taking care of 300 hockey players for two weeks can get daunting, especially when they are on the ice as much as these guys... yet it always gives me a great sense of accomplishment to keep them patched together. Lucky for me hockey players are usually pretty tough.

We had a couple pretty decent injuries and a lot of things that just took some good ole' TLC. Either way I loved being able to watch them get back out on the ice and teach them how to take good care of their bodies.

One of them just called me this morning to ask a question about an injury that happened last night during practice now that he is at home. For now I'm honored he would call and ask for my assistance, I might change my tune when he is still checking in daily in a few weeks, months, years.

Ten days was a long time to be gone. I missed my pup, and my bed. I was worried about eating our so much, it gets expensive and has TONS of calories. So, I borrowed Owen's mini fridge and paid the bell boy to take it to my room for me. We saved a ton of money and I actually managed to drop a pound or two while I was gone. I had to get creative with my workouts from time to time since the gym closed early every night, but I did it and lucky for me I'm still on track. Only 18 more pounds till I'm at my goal weight for Hope's wedding the end of October....

As far as the fun festivities go:
I had two days off inbetween camps. My good friend came down to spend the week with me and take advantage of the free hotel room and great pool, so we went and played while I wasn't working! On my first day off we drove about an hour Northwest of Vegas and found a great mountain area with some fun hiking trails. We went on a good hike (that kicked my ass) that was about three miles round trip, yet climbed about 800 feet in elevation. The kicker is that it started at approximately 7800 feet in elevation, I thought I was going to die! The reward was a great couple of waterfalls nestled into a big rock face. It was a great location and very worth the hike; besides, who would have ever thought there was a forest only an hour from Vegas!!??!!

On our way back from hiking we stopped at a place on the side of the road and went on a horseback ride. It was a great trail ride and it was fun to be back on a horse. It has been at least 13 years since I have been with those great animals.... Sariah got a horse that was a bit of a handful, we laughed and laughed as we realized that he was nothing we weren't used to... we both date men just like him all the time.

The next day we woke up early and went to a golf course and took a Women's golf clinic. We got a great price (since it is National Golf month) and even got a free breakfast! I had never played golf before, other than mini golf, and absolutely fell in love with it. We had such a great time! Also, did I mention that going to the driving range burns almost 340 calories an hour? Hopefully I make this a regular thing, I really enjoyed it! Now I just need to find myself some clubs...

After our morning of golf we went to the pool.... I thoroughly enjoyed it, to say the least. My tan has been rediculously uneven from my time out at lacrosse, but that day I did my best to even things out and enjoy the pool. I am usually such a little sun goddess during the summer!! But between the rain in Utah and how stinking busy I've been I haven't been at the pool as much as I would like, thank goodness for a day off in Vegas!!

After my days off I was back to work with 14 hour days at the ice rink. I can't complain, I love my job and I love the people I work with down there. I enjoy working with athletes, coaches and referees.... :) That's right, refs.

I have always had a thing for refs. Maybe it's the power, I think I have a thing for men in positions of power. Maybe it's that they are the only "safe" ones to flirt with. Maybe it is that they are just easy access considering we are always standing around the same area together. Either way, I have a thing for them. What is getting really fun is that every year in Vegas there seems to be the same core groups of refs. I am starting to get to know them better and it is fun to check in, even if it is once a year. Each year there is always a new ref or two, this year there was a great addition. I always looked forward to the games in the afternoon since the guys would show up and help pass the time..... gotta love 'em.

I finished camp late Wednesday night and we started our drive home. We made GREAT time but still didn't make it home till about 3 am. The hard part was that I had to be at work at 9am the next morning. :( No rest for the wicked.

As we look back on our "annual" trip to Vegas we always laugh about how we don't really get into much trouble, I guess we aren't "Vegas" type girls. We didn't go clubbing, although I will admit that we did try to find a club that played 80s-90s wrap, you know.... Tootsie Roll type stuff.... that music is just great to shake your ass to. But we didn't find one and we didn't go.

Seriously, who goes to Vegas and goes hiking?? We do.

No comments: