Sunday, July 5, 2009

Parades, Moons and Heros

The Fourth of July... what a great day.

Before we moved to Provo the 4th was never a huge family holiday, at least not that I remember. But since Provo is the home of one of the biggest Independance Day celebrations in the country we have developed a lot of traditions. We start the morning at the parade, usually after someone from the clan has slept out on the side of the street to secure our spot for the next morning. The day ends with the family at the "usual spot" watching fireworks from the stadium and setting off some of their own. We are in the same spot ever year and it isn't uncommon for people to "stop by" knowing we will be there.

This morning was just like any other parade morning. We had the normal spread. Dana and little Mekhi joined us, which is becoming a great tradition, and it was wonderful. The kids scampered to the side of the street to enjoy the parade and us older folk stayed back and chatted.

I haven't seen my family in over three weeks and it was nice to spend some time with them. This year I invited everyone over to my house for a BBQ after the parade. The kids "swam" in the hottub and we put a sprinkler out so they could cool off. We cut up fruit, grilled some meat and laid in the shade of the apricot tree that is suspiciously not putting out fruit this year.

Late in the afternoon I was literally falling asleep in my chair. I hadn't gotten a lot of sleep the night before and this was doubley bad since I had to work that night. Poppa told me to go take a nap before work and volunteered him and the group from his house to clean up. I resisted for a split second and then thanked them profusely, then went to my room and passed out in seconds.

When I got up two hours later I walked out to a spotless kitchen, dishes done on the counter and even a load of laundry switched out. They were absolute heros. It meant so much to me that they would be so kind....

I love holidays like this. They give us a chance to catch up on things and be reminded of just how truly important family and friends are. I hope I don't take my freedoms for granted, but I know I don't think about them as much as I should.... very similar to how I don't necessarily actively think about how fantastic my family is, even though if I was asked I would tell you they undoubtedly are amazing.

So here I sit, at work. I missed the fireworks spectacular, but at least I got to spend the day with my family... and my little dog. I've missed that pup.

Check back tomorrow for potentially the funniest story of the day. :)

No comments: