Sunday, November 30, 2008

I've Become a Mother of Teenagers

Just like that, overnight... I am the mother of teenagers. I have two sons, soon to be three... and soon their friends will start "spending the night/weekend" in herds.



Let me explain. As many of you know, Owen moved in with me the beginning of the summer. Him and our friend Matt have this great idea of being "Snowboard Bums" for the winter semester (January-April). They originally were looking all over, but finally realized that it made sense to stay in Utah. Hello!! Best snow on earth, already had a house... etc, etc, etc. So, it was only a matter of time until they approached me about Matt moving in. After some thought I finally agreed, Matt is a sweetheart and easy to get along with, this can't be too bad. Well, a few weeks after that they spring the thought of moving in ANOTHER one. I finally agreed that if they can all fit in Owen's room than I am okay with it.... And just like that I agreed to be the Mother of three teenage boys.

Now, I'm sure they will be offended that I'm calling them teenagers, "But we are 21 and 20 years old!!" they will say... but seriously, 21/16/18, whatever... practically all the same.

They are in bunkbeds and another seperate bed, all in the same room. Sometimes I can hear them in there giggling before they fall asleep or first thing in the morning before they come out for the day. Last night I got home from being out and as soon as I walked through the back door (which is right next to their room) I hear, "Hi! Don't worry, we tucked ourselves in." So, I open the door and say "Goodnight, boys." and get "You can turn on the light." So, I turn on the light and say, "Goodnight, boys." After a bit of chatting I finally turn off the light and leave them... I hear giggling and a few banging noises before they finally fall asleep about 20 minutes later....

The other day I come home to them waxing snowboards in the living room. I can't complain, they waxed mine as well. I was a bit worried, but they were good... they were careful not to get wax on the floor and they cleaned up their mess. They also have made a few meals already and cleaned up relatively well. Matt is a very good cook and Owen likes to help him, so I think this could work out nicely. Now I just need to find a way to keep all their crap contained... When they come home from the mountain it looks like a snowboarding bomb went off inside the back door - boots, coats, boards, gloves, etc.... EVERYWHERE. We will have to figure that out....

All in all, I think it will be rather fun. Matt is a bundle of energy and a sweetheart when it comes right down to it. I KNOW that Owen will enjoy having him around and they will make memories that will last a lifetime. I dont know this Andrew kid yet, but Owen and Matt say he is a mix of the two of them... if that is the case then he has got to be one great kid. As for me, I will enjoy having the snow shoveled and someone to take out the trash. I will have to lay some ground rules, but with a little bit of effort and a lot of patience I think we will have a great time. Let's be honest.... I get to have three teenage boys for a few months!! I'll be able to get rid of them right about the time that they are consistently driving me nuts....

No comments: