Monday, January 11, 2010

Out in the Snow!!

Yesterday Sam and I went out and used my new snowshoes.

He got me snowshoes for Christmas and I was eager to try them out! I've never done it before!

We took Max (the dog) with us for some much needed running and we all had a great time.

It was chilly! It sure is a wierd feeling to be working hard and sweating, but yet you are bundled up and not at all cold! It's different from snowboarding because when you are snowboarding you still get cold from time to time (especially during that rest period on the lift) but honestly, when on the snowshoes I never got cold! Not once! When we got back to the truck and stripped down to our underlayers to ride home we were both SOAKED in sweat!!

Great workout! It was gorgeous and we had a great time!!

Sam did a great job picking out my snowshoes. He told me when I opened them on Christmas that they were the luxury edition and that I would be spoiled right off the bat. I don't have anything else to compare them to, but I can tell you they are awesome! They are simple to get on and off, plus they are so comfortable!! Did I also mention they are super cute?? You can't go wrong with purple snowshoes!

The trail we found was a lot of fun, it wound around a little creek, had some small hills for a little bit of a challenge, went around an old barn and had a few other fun exploration activities. I didn't realize how deep the snow was until we came across some moose tracks, they easily went down two feet into the snow! Showshoes really are awesome things, keeping you right up there on top of the snow..... super cool.

We found out quickly that I spray a lot of snow behind me. Sam kept trying to teach me how to drag the back of my snowshoes so that I wouldn't flick snow so much, but I never really got the hang of it. He always made sure he was in the lead so he didn't get so much spray. There were times when I would hit myself in the back of the head with snow!! My pockets filled up with snow by the time we were half way through our hour long outing.

I kept teasing him saying that he got must have gotten me the special "snow flicker" snowshoes and that I was trying to not flick snow, but it was like fighting against the machine. He would just laugh, roll his eyes and make sure he was far enough in front of me to not be caught in the flying snow.

Max was hilarious, running and diving through the snow. Constantly trying to eat it, falling into weak spots in the crust and coming to a screaching halt in the deep trenches he would fall into. He had a great time and was hilarious to watch.

Porter had a good time too, when we got home he was crashed out on top of the heating pad and afaghan on the couch.....

A good time was had by all. :)

No comments: