Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ocean, for as far as the eye can see...

Oceanside, California with 25 athletes and coaches from the Westminster College Track team.

Coach knew he wanted to come to a track meet in San Diego and asked me awhile back if I had any secrets to traveling cheap, the only way we were going to be able to come is if we could get it to fit the budget.

I told him that I try to find rental houses, that way we can save money on food... we got back to campus and I went to work. Right away I found a house that was right on the water. It could sleep all 25 of us and it was relatively close to our competition. In the pictures I saw a kitchen that faced a huge half circle of floor-to-ceiling windows that looked straight out on the ocean. I told him that I would cook every single meal for us if he took me to that house....

Well, here we are.


I just got done cooking dinner for 25 people... it went surprisingly well. I actually like cooking for people like that and it is fun to work in the kitchen with some of my athletes.

Today when we got here it was in the 70s, warm!!! We ran outside, waited for vans outside, went to the beach.... and now they are all sunburnt. Some worse than others, and some really bad. Today at the store I bought spf 50 and aloe... we are going to need it.

I am lucky to have a job that allows me to do fun things like this. I am lucky that I have a family at home that takes care of my house and dogs so I can leave for a bit. I am lucky that I have found my niche and that that niche has a future for me. 

So, tonight I sit on the roof-top balcony and listen to the crashing waves, stare out across the pitch dark ocean. Tomorrow I will wake up and cook breakfast for 25 athletes and spend all day in the sun wearing shorts and sandals. It's a good life.

Here's the surprising part.... To date, these track athletes have been the team that eats the most per person!! They beat snowboarding, hockey and football.... crazy, no?!?!

No comments: