Saturday, July 2, 2011

Taking a risk

About a month ago I took a risk, a big one. I decided that a small part of my business that I have had for many years needed to be focused on.

I own and operate a business that provides sports medicine coverage for athletic events, part of that business is custom mouthguards. I have been making custom mouthguards for about 12 years now and have always done it for my athletes and those I'm close with. About a month ago I decided to take this service and promote it to others.

It took me a couple tries, but I have figured out how to market them and where ideal audiences are. I have set up the business for easy travel to events, tournaments and camps. I have made signs and brochures.

Well, I took a risk and invested some money into it and I'm pleased to announce that in the past three weeks I have recouped all that investment money and even seen some profit return.

I couldn't be more excited.

Yesterday I spent almost all day (with a quick break for a sushi lunch with my awesome family) making mouthguards. Winter and Tuff even got in on the action and we pumped out 82 mouthguards in one day!! That's amazing!!

Today I'm packaging them and addressing them all to mail out on Tuesday (after this three-day holiday weekend).

I have learned that it takes a risk to see a reward.

I have also learned that success is often bolstered tremendously by others. This support from others is based on how much they respect you and want you to achieve what you have set out to do. I'm blessed to have people around me that want me to succeed.

Thanks to everyone that has helped along the way!! I have gotten so much help with promotion, product placement at their events, and even manufacturing from my awesome siblings. I couldn't have done it without you!!

Now, who else needs a mouthguard?!?! The phone seems to be ringing of the hook!!!

p.s. I'm looking for some help covering a box LAX tourney and possibly a motocross/BMX event, who's interested??

1 comment:

becky said...

Good for you. R these the BYU quality mouth guards? It seriously takes a village. I know you usually hear it about raising kids but it if for everything, I swear.