Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I went in for a foot rub and came out with a black eye...

My friend and I are down in Vegas, today is the last day of work for me and tomorrow we head home after being down here for 12 days. We have tried to be adventurous and get out from time to time, which often seems difficult with me working 12 hours days every day.

Last night we decided that after I was done at the rink we would go out to eat and then go to one of these Foot Reflexology places that are everywhere down here. We asked a few locals and they said that they should be pretty legit. We decided we would go in, get a feel for the place, and if it didn't seem sketchy we would stay and get a 30 minute foot rub for only $19 bucks.

We saw a place not far from where we ate dinner and stopped in. As we entered we were greeted by a young pimply-faced Asian kid who I questioned about reflexology and we decided to give it a try. The place was open, no closed rooms, we weren't asked to remove our clothes.... it felt pretty legit.

About five minutes later we found ourselves sitting side by side with our feet in ginger and lavender foot baths and chatting about how good it felt.

They told us about a special they were running. Either $19 for 30 minutes of a foot massage, or $30 for a full hour that also included our arms, shoulders and backs. We decided to splurge for the full hour for only $30, we deserved it.

Then our crazy little Asian man came in. He told us about how it was his lucky day because all his patients had been female, he danced around barefoot with his pleated jeans rolled up to his mid-calf. He was quite comical..... then he grabbed my foot.

He had hands of steel!!! He dug his thumbs into my feet and legs and ankles and toes..... youch!! He kept asking me if it hurt and when I said no he would dig deeper, when I said yes he would say, "A little pain is good sometimes, be tough."

There were times I was arched off the little chair, my toes curled, my hands clenching the padded blankets I was sitting on. I had to consciously remind myself to relax, it hurt worse when all my muscles were clenched.  I tried to breathe deeply. At times my friend would start laughing and ask if I was ok, it was then that I realized I probably sounded like I was giving birth. Just breathe, in and out, deep breaths.....

He did point out a few interesting sore points on my legs and feet. Apparently I'm really sensitive to sugars, I am thinking I will check into that when I get home. And possibly my adrenal gland is struggling?? Again, look into it later.

He was finally done with my feet and legs and I was grateful. I thought, the back and arms can't be that bad.... phew!!

Oh boy was I wrong. I turned over in my little chair and that is when the true torture began. His elbow worked down my spine and into my traps. He bent my arm behind my back to get my rhomboids. He would ask if something hurt and when I said yes he would lean down and whisper in my ear (in his Asian accent), "Pain is good, be tough."

I looked over and caught a glimpse of my friend. At this point she was reclined, covered in a blanket and her little Asian lady was giving her a scalp massage. It looked so serene.... how did I get stuck with the torture-inducing reflexologist?!?! (I later found out hers was pretty painful as well, apparently she is just better at hiding it.)

At the end of my session he covered me in a blanket (which I was completely grateful for.... by this point my body was shaking and different muscles were contracting randomly... looking back I realize my body was probably in a state of shock). After I was covered and tucked in he started a tapping/slapping technique known as tapotment. I usually really like it and after what I had just been through it felt pretty good. He started at my shoulders, worked down my back, my glutes, my legs and then back up.

I thought we were done, but apparently he felt my glutes needed a bit more attention. As he slapped my ass from side to side for about 20 seconds (which felt like forever) I heard him start to giggle. Apparently he was enjoying this.

Yes, the little Asian man spanked me for almost half a minute straight.

Then it was over. Just like that. He gave me a drink of water and left me to pay at the front door.

I got in the car, barely, my entire body a combination of relaxation, pain and convulsions. I looked over at my friend and we both started to giggle. What the hell was that?!?! What the hell did we just experience?!?!?

Wow, what an adventure. I'm sure it did some good, but man.... I feel like I got into a bar fight last night! I feel bruised over my ankles and in my left armpit. My right upper back feels strangely tight and my neck feels like it needs to pop. My toes feel kind of swollen and it's a bit hard to get the energy to go anywhere quickly.

Detoxification to blame?? Getting beaten up by a little Asian man and actually paying for it??? Probably the later.

1 comment:

Matt said...

But HOW did you get a black eye?