Saturday, July 9, 2011

A new way of life

I have been contemplating an eating change for awhile now. About six months ago a friend of mine had recommended the "Eat to Live" book by Dr. Fuhrman and I devoured it in two days. I have been intrigued ever since. I reread it about a month ago and started really thinking about the feasibility of eating this way.

The "Eat to Live" plan is a 100% plant based diet. This eliminates meat, dairy, breads, pastas, etc. It allows vegis, fruits, beans and seeds. You are required to eat a pound of leafy greens and other raw vegis every day, along with a pound of cooked vegis (excluding potatoes or squash). You also must eat one cup of beans and four pieces of fruit.

Let me tell you, that is A LOT of food.

I convinced my family that we should do this together. I wanted to do it and I knew that I would not be able to do it alone. I knew that if I came home and they were all eating Panda Express that I would not be able to walk past them and eat my bean chili without some major tears and feelings of deprevation.... if I was even able to stay away from a delicious morsel of Orange Chicken.

So, we all started last Wednesday and have completed three days. We are feeling FABULOUS.

This is breakfast from yesterday.... a bowl of fruit with sunflower seeds on top.


Lunch from yesterday was a broccoli, onion and mushroom pizza on a whole wheat gluten free tortilla with non-dairy cheese. YUMMY!!


With meeting our quotas for raw vegis, fresh vegis, beans and fruit every day I have not been hungry at all! In fact, I've been stuffed every single meal, sometimes not even eating everything I was supposed to. The recipes are delicious and I have been satisfied and happy with every meal.

So far I am loving things. I might start detoxing here soon and then I would expect headaches and a bit of nausea if things get really bad.

Mom is blogging about her adventures here. Winter will probably talk about her adventures here.

Poppa is LOVING it and can't talk enough about it. Mom is doing really well and seeing her changes mentally and physically has been wonderful. Winter has struggled a bit. I will never forget the look on her face when she tried the Cauliflower Soup for the first time. The rest of us really enjoyed it, apparently Winter didn't. LOL

So far I have had a TON of energy. My brain feels bright and my body feels good. My feet haven't been swelling, which I have struggled with since I started running longer distances.

I worked out yesterday and was eager to see how my body would do without animal protein. I did a 5 mile bike AND a 30 minute lap swim. I felt AWESOME.

By the way.... (here is a clip from the book). Did you know that broccoli has twice the amount of protein of steak when compared ounce for ounce?!?!? Amazing... and yes, we are eating a lot of broccoli. :)

All of those effects are awesome... but here is another great one. I weighted in this morning and after three days I have lost four pounds. I know a lot of it is water weight, but still.... that's exciting!!

1 comment:

D.J. Ashby said...

Great job Beaud!!! Keep it up!!! Your motivation is contagious, Becky and I will probably start back at again soon.