Sunday, July 10, 2011

Prep, Cook, Shop, Prep, Cook... and repeat

I want to get one thing clear right off the bat, I AM NOT COMPLAINING... because I absolutely LOVE eating this way.

100% plant based is an incredible way of life. I feel absolutely FANTASTIC!

However, it takes a lot of  time!! I'm at the grocery store about every other day. Every single day I'm prepping food and cooking for at least 2-4 hours.

A lot of this cook time is prepping breakfast and lunch for when we will be gone from the house. Tomorrow night I will have to cook the next day's dinner as well so that the parents can take it with them since they won't be home for dinner.

Today I slept in and then spend all afternoon at the store and cooking before I had to leave for work. I did get a lot done tho... check out all this food ready to go for the next two days!!!

It's a good thing I love to cook, because MAN, this is A LOT OF COOKING!!

It's been really interesting to try new recipes and be pleasantly surprised by how good they are. Tonight we tried bean burgers. I actually mashed red beans, added onions and spices and baked them in the oven. We were all a little worried, but they were surprisingly good!! Not only were they tasty, but FILLING... I had a hard time finishing mine.

Eating this way has never left me hungry. It also is having a great impact on my energy and clarity of mind. I also am finding that I'm not craving food like I used to. I see food commercials on TV and surprisingly, they aren't torturing me.

All in all, I'm feeling great. I'm still looking for ways to make prep time more efficient and find cheaper ways to produce the same health benefits.... like using frozen broccoli in certain recipes instead of fresh broccoli.

I WILL learn and become more efficient at all this... but even if it continues to be demanding, it's worth it.

1 comment:

becky said...

hopefully once you are used to it you will have extra in the freezer and your prep time can lessen as you get faster.