Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Because I'm a runner... and this is what I do.

I'm scheduled for another 5k this weekend. This time it's on Poppa's birthday and all three of us (me, Poppa and Owen) are going to rock it.

I was out for a run last night and listening to one of my favorite tracks by my running coach. In it he gives us a little motivational chat, talking about how we have conquered our bodies, how we have pushed through our previous limits and reached levels of strength and determination we never have before. At the end he says, "because you are a runner, and this is what you do."

Every time he says that I either tear up a bit or want to pump my fist in the air and exclaim, "Damn right! I AM a runner!!"

I had just started my run last night when Pops called me to see where I was at, which is unusual. Apparently my little bro wanted to come with me on my run and and even ran out on the sidewalk looking for me and yelling my name when he realized I had left without him. Well, him and Poppa grabbed a bike and Rollerblades and came out to find me and finish my run with me.

About 3/4 of the way through my run my brother asks me, "Did you run this WHOLE way?!?" Then he says that he doesn't think he would be able to run that far.

I started to explain to him that three months ago I couldn't have run that far either, but I've been training and I've gotten a lot better. As I was talking between heavy breaths I was grateful when Poppa took over and explained to him that with practice anyone can get better. It was then that Tuffy asked if he could Rollerblade the 5k with us on Saturday. I smiled.

I'm happy that I'm a good example for him. I'm excited that he is seeing that with some effort and determination you can accomplish great things. I love that he likes to get outside on the trail with me and get his heart pumping a bit and breathe the fresh air. And I love love love it when he tells me that I'm getting faster with my running.

When Mom came and cheered me on during my very first 5k (three weeks ago) she called my style of running the "Bootie Shuffle". It was a quick little short step with a jogging gate to it. It wasn't fast at all, but it did the trick!

I was very proud yesterday when I was able to say to Poppa... "I think I've moved past the Bootie Shuffle".... and he didn't hesitate one second when he said, "I think you definitely have!" Then about five minutes later he told Tuffy, "We have to pick up the pace, Sara is leaving us in her dust!" hahahaha

That's right!! Because I'm a runner, and that's what I do!

1 comment:

becky said...

That's right. That is what runners do. So awesome. It makes me want to go running. In about 6 months I will be. I can't wait. You have inspired me.