Sunday, May 15, 2011

My birthday 5k = SUCCESS!!

The morning of my 5k came and I was EXCITED, not only was it my 30th birthday... but today I was going to run my very first 5k! I'd been training for this for eight weeks and I was ready to get the "show on the road."

I got to the start line and my fantastic brother met up with me. As we waited for it to start it was hard not to bounce in place! The music was pumping, people were everywhere and the energy was strong!

Before I knew it, we were off!!! My family was just a few hundred yards down from the start line and where already cheering me on.



I was pretty stoked and feeling good. My awesome running coach (from my training podcasts) was talking me through things in my headphones and I was settling into my pace. I kept my pace slow and conservative, but that was all part of my plan.... My only goal for this race was to finish by RUNNING THE ENTIRE THING. To do that I knew I had to keep my pace conservative. So I settled in and things felt great.



Every mile or so I had another cheering section. My family and friends are SERIOUSLY SO WONDERFUL. They would see me coming and the cheering would start.... signs, yelling, clapping, cowbells.... Then as soon as I was past they would jump into their car and race to meet me at the finish line. As they passed they yelled and honked.


I told Owen (my brother and running partner) on multiple occasions that I felt like a celebrity. It was so fun!




As I approached the finish line I saw this rowdy crowd! They were so LOUD! As I got closer they started singing happy birthday and a lot of people at the finish line joined in. I had to choke back the tears as Owen was encouraging me to "kick it in" and I realized that not only was I about to finish my first 5k, but I had done it on my 30th birthday!



My baby brother jumped in the race with me and I crossed the finish line with both of my brothers... Are they not the best?!?!




As I got closer to the finish line I "kicked it in" with Owen cheering me on.




With my legs tingling and my lungs burning from the "final push" I crossed the finish line.


I looked at the clock...... 51 minutes.


I felt GREAT!


I crossed the finish line absolutely exhuberant. I was on cloud 9. I had done it!! Everything I had worked for, everything I had dreamed about as I pushed through those training runs, I had done it!! And I'll let you in on a little secret, it felt better than I had imagined.


I took a quick cool-down walk afterwards and Owen came with me. We were about a block down the road when I started to choke up. Owen must have heard me choke back a tear and put his arm around me and said, "you ok?"


I was more than ok.... I told him, "Oh yeah, I've just come a long way in a year, I'm really proud of myself."


He just smiled. He understood.



Afterwards the kids played, we hung out and relaxed while I stretched and downed about three bottles of cold water. Of course we took lots of pictures!!!


Here I am with my brother Owen, my running partner, pace coach and constant cheerleader.


Here is the whole group. These guys are absolutely awesome. They were so supportive the entire day and it made it really fun!!!


Thanks, Everyone! Love you bunches and bunches!!


1 comment:

becky said...

Thanks for the story. That is so awesome. Are you planning on more races?