Tuesday, May 17, 2011

How I found my heart...

I danced all growing up. I remember Poppa picking me up from the dance studio when I was little and stopping by the grocery store on the way home. I would follow him down the aisle tap dancing, spinning, twirling, leaping and shuffle-ball-changing the whole way.


I danced through college and then fell away from it due to knee surgeries, lack of avaliable adult classes, getting busy, etc....


I've known for sometime that I've wanted to get back into dancing and once told myself that when I got down to a certain weight I would start dancing again....


Well, I got to within 5 pounds of that weight and then life got in the way and I never got dancing again.


So, now two-years and an abusive relationship later I realized that my heart couldn't wait any longer. I NEEDED TO DANCE.


I searched high and low for an adult modern class. I didn't want to dance with kids, but that seemed to be all that was avaliable... until I found that the local professional dance company has open classes a few nights a week.


Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they are a bit intimidating. Yes, they take up a night out of the week.....


But that is a small price to pay to have this guy help me find my heart again.



Last night I went to my first modern class with Aaron, and I had to hold back the tears several times throughout class because it just felt that good.


It felt incredible to be dancing again. It felt so instictual to move and let my body find it's natural flow again.


This was all about me. About me finding what I've been missing, what I've needed.


Although, I will admit that when Aaron told me I did something well and when one of the ladies in class said, "you move so beautifully. You can tell you have training." I was flattered. Sometimes it's nice to hear that you still got it.


So, my love affair has been brought to life once again.... and now every Monday night I will go see Aaron and lay my heart in the middle of the dance studio and then take it with me again when I leave. It's time to have this part of me back, and it feels.... so damn good.

1 comment:

becky said...

So glad you found a class and are already started. I can't wait to hear more.