Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What is in a name?

Lucky for me my MRI on my thumb came back negative for the lesion the doctor thought I had...but did confirm the ligament tear.... while it's still a bummer, I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE SURGERY!!! Which is AWESOME.

I'm finally feeling like something is going my way and am SO GRATEFUL for it. Horray for small wins!!

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to tell people when they asked what happened. Honestly, it's embarrassing. I still tear up having to tell the doctors what happened. This whole thing is so embarrassing.....

The splint draws a lot of attention, and questions. For now I just tell people, "I have a torn ligament in my thumb." When they ask how I did it I don't know what to say. I told one person the truth, the look they gave me made me feel an inch tall. I told the next person that I "got in a little scuffle." Then I realized I sounded like a mischievous scoundrel.

Soooooo, needless to say, the story needs work, as does the name. If I'm wearing this bad boy for six weeks, IT NEEDS A NAME!!!

SUGGESTIONS???



I will tell you this much, it's hard to do things.... I'm right handed and this thing is getting in the way! I'm not allowed to touch my thumb and finger together in a pinching motion. I'm not allowed to put any pressure to either side and I'm not allowed to put any firm pressure straight down.
I tried to eat a salad with my left hand today and wound up with dressing close to my ear. I'm trying to remember to hit the space bar with my left hand while I'm typing (annoying!!). I can't tape, massage, grab things, hold things at work. I'm not allowed to grip or squeeze anything, including holding cups or water bottles. I can't hold a pen and write. I can't hold a fork. I can't twist the keys to turn on the car. I can't pick up my purse and put it on my shoulder. I can't get my fingers close enough together to pick up a piece of paper.... these next six weeks will be interesting. But when I'm done I'm pretty sure I will be ambidextrous!!! :) haha
So, any suggestions on names?? I'm thinking a small prize for the winner.

2 comments:

Going Full Hippie said...

Hooray for no surgeries!! on so many levels, right?

if people ask how you hurt it, say you strained it, if they ask how, say you weren't being very careful, if they ask how, tell them to mind their own beeswax. j/k

"it was a crazy accident. did you hear about the flynig fish in tokyo?"

effective conversation changers are key. ;o)

As for names, I say something space age and sci-fi esque. It seriously looks like some kind of comm device from star trek. Maybe just steal Spock, or Kirk. Easy enough to remember, and catchy!

becky said...

I don't have a name but now I are really curious of how it really happened. I think you should stick with a story of some cool extreme sport or a great hike through a slot canyon and there was a flash flood so you had about 30 seconds to scale the rock to higher ground. Ew that is a really good one. So do I get a prize for a good story?