Sunday, October 2, 2011

Family Pictures - We survived! (barely)

Yesterday we tackled this project of "Family Pictures."

Abby found a willing (and awesome) photographer, everyone fought over a color scheme, we miraculously found a time when everyone could make it and we all ventured down to Utah County, some of us more willing than others.

Hope went into a fury of getting hair and makeup done on her sisters, kids were squealing, dogs chasing each other, some were late and luckily Trey went off to get a few libations to hold us through.

We climbed in cars and started our caravan out to the south side of Utah Lake. Forty minutes later we pulled up at the beach that was supposed to be the "perfect spot" and were promptly lamblasted with gale-force winds and pelting rain. The dogs loved it and ran around crazy before we finally got them back in the  cars and set off down the road in hopes of getting out of the storm. I'm sure we looked like some ridiculous version of storm chasers.

We finally found another place on the other side of the mountain that would do just fine. I knew this place well... my ex liked this spot for all sorts of hunting expeditions and I would often go with him. We had camped out there with my step-girls and spent many days (and nights) hiking those hills for deer and sitting in the marshes by the swamp for ducks. It was interesting for me to remember these good times. So many of my memories from that relationship (mostly how it ended) are traumatic and horrible memories, it was nice to be able to remember the good, remember the joy we had and (gasp) the love that we shared. I do miss those times, but unfortunately powers out of my control ruined it for all of us....

ANYWAYS, back to the story.

So we got out and quickly realized we were being ACCOSTED by bird sized mosquitoes!! It was awful!! The next two hours were full of slapping and scratching and swatting and squealing.

We got some family shots done and then Abby's family jumped in there before the kids turned into balls of mud. Then all the couples got their stuff done. By this time a lot of people had escaped to the cars to try to avoid the mosquitoes, as well as some of the dogs. I had put Porter in the parents car and was over at Trey's car getting a swig of something to help keep the nerves at bay....

Tuffy comes walking back to me and says, "Something is wrong with Porter." When asked what was wrong he shrugged his shoulders and walked away... so I go to check it out and when I open the door to the car Mom is FREAKING OUT, and for good reason. When I look at Porter his eyes are swelling shut, his lips are fat, he has big swollen bumps all over him and he looks like he's about ready to keel over, but on top of that he's scratching and nibbling all over his little 9-lb body. I look closer and realize that the mosquitoes have eaten him alive and he is having a pretty significant allergic reaction.

I ask around for benadryl, no one has any... except for this topical gel that we keep for Tuff's skin. I grab Porter and wrap him in an extra shirt we had and hold him close, he snuggles right in -- I felt AWFUL, I could almost hear him crying for his Momma. I asked Poppa to help me smear him down with Benadryl gel and he let us get some on his head, but after a few minutes he had had enough and was squirming and fighting us the whole way.

The sun was almost down by now and the mosquitoes were really coming out in full force. We realize that I'm the only one who hasn't gotten individual shots taken so they grab me and throw me in front of the camera for a few minutes.... (enter furious shutter clicks here)...... and then I go grab Porter and run to Trey and Hope's car to escape the mosquitoes and get the hell out of there!!

As we are driving away in our little caravan, headed back to civilization, Trey tells me that our family succeeded in finishing off two six-packs and a fifth of Crown Royal during our excursion. Wow.... that's probably why there were no fights, screaming or tantrums. We need to remember this trick. :) Props to the family for pulling straight from the bottle in times like this!! LOL :)

After about 30 minutes we made it to a gas station, I removed the wheezing puppy from my lap and ran in to buy benadryl. There was a Subway attached so I bought two pieces of ham for 0.54 cents. Winter looked up "benadryl dose for small dogs" on Google (seriously, what would we ever do without google and smart phones?!?!) and we promptly wrapped 25mg of benadryl in ham and Porter took it like a champ.

Within an hour or so most of the swelling had gone down and he was feeling lots better, but TIRED. He slept on my lap the whole way home to Salt Lake and crashed in bed with me all night. This morning he is back to his normal self and all in all I will say that none of us are any worse for the wear.

Today we are off to our annual Family Fall Conference Oktoberfest Outing. I can't remember the last time I've drank three days in a row.... but ya know, sometimes drastic times call for drastic measures. :)


No comments: