Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Battle with The Beast (aka Fall Finale Sprint Tri)

It was an early one. Early and dark and cold.

It had been raining all night. Check in was at 7am. The temperature was 41 degrees.


I was in the pool by 8:30am. The swim was inside and the water was nice and warm... :)
(p.s. I can't get the pictures to turn, sorry)


Winter was taking pictures and Pops was right there yelling for me after every lap, swinging my shirt and making a very supportive ruckus.


Here I am, almost done with the swim!


Now for the 1/4 mile barefoot run to the transition area. That was the cold part!


I got all bundled up and ready for the bike... I was really grateful for that wind/rain proof jacket after 12 miles! My toes were numb and my shoes were dripping by the end of it, but at least it wasn't pouring rain!


And we are off... I seriously have the most supportive Poppa. He is always right there beside me or behind me, always inspiring and motivational.


This was at the top of the three mile hill that started the bike course. That thing was a doozy!! I just kept thinking to myself, "Winter is right up there and I do NOT want her to get pictures of me walking my bike..." As soon as I would pass her she would drive ahead again for more pictures... I think that is what got me up that damn hill!!

When things get hard on my bike I tend to yell and scream. I think this is the part where I screamed, "This shit is fucking hard!!!" I think I heard Pops giggle.


The view was absolutely gorgeous. I tried to remind myself to look up and enjoy it from time to time.



Here I am coming back into transition where Tuffy (here in the blue hat), Winter, Hope and Trey were waiting for us. I loved all the support!!


This is transition 2. I had to walk a hill on my bike and got a nasty blister from walking in my bike shoes. Here I was screaming while having to rake my shoe off.... ouch!! I remember looking down and seeing a huge chunk of skin in my shoe. Yummy.



The medic there put a pad on my heel (can you believe I didn't have anything with me?? Geesh! Live and learn...) And I was off....


Pops was right there with me as always.

This was a big 3 mile loop, we went out away from the oval and then back to finish with a lap inside... I was jello by then, struggling and honestly pretty emotional. Pops was very supportive and we had some good chats out there on that course.


Almost there!


Done! Finally!


This guy came up afterwards and said, "You are my hero. I was behind you the whole time and you were really inspirational." Maybe he was inspired by me yelling cuss words out on the bike course... who knows!! LOL


Done! Have the medal  to prove it!  That thing was a BEAST!! 


My fantastically supportive fam, fondly referred to as "TEAM BEAUDRY".



I think this funny face pic says it all. :)

1 comment:

Matt G. said...

Keep it up Sara. You're doing great! Do you have the times from the race? I'd like to know how you did.