Thursday, February 10, 2011

Buckle down


I like metaphors.... and here is the one that I keep picturing a lot lately.

.

.

.

.

.


I'm climbing a ladder, a tall one. I've been climbing for awhile now... slow and steady.


It hasn't been easy. In fact, the hardest part was getting on it to begin with.


I've continued climbing, the longer I've been climbing the easier it has been and the faster I have been able to climb.


A few times I have been hit with a strong gust of wind, all I can do is hold on and wait for it to pass.


Sometimes the weather is nice, climbing is easy, almost as if the gentle breeze encourages me along.


Other times, like today, the wind is harsh and mean. It stings my face and makes my knuckles feel like shattering glass as they tightly grip the rungs of the ladder. White-knuckled. Wind ripping at every part of my body.


The fear now is that I have climbed so high. If I fall now I probably won't make it.


I MUST hold on. I MUST beat this.


So I try to tuck my head, protect myself as much as I can. The problem is I keep looking around, I can't help myself. I want to know what this storm is all about, how long it will last, what I'm up against.


The irony is, the more I look for answers, the less I know.


So I hold on. I beg my hands to hold on. I feel the ladder shaking and swaying underneath me. I do my best to cling tight.


Just. Hold. On.


This too shall pass. It always does.


Until next time.

No comments: