Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Smell of the Ice...


I'll be honest, I miss hockey. It was a HUGE part of my life for over eight years; and yes, I've loved my time since then... but I miss it.

Watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs lately have shown me bits and pieces of what I miss. It's usually the shots of practice or warmup that get to me... those are the times I miss.

Every year I work a showcase camp down in Vegas for two weeks. This year I am excited to go.

I'm excited to see everyone that I'm getting used to working with... but mostly, I'm excited to be by the ice again. I'm excited to work with athletes that think the world rises and sets because of them and their skills on the ice... simply put, hockey players are a different breed - and I love them.

When I day dream about camp I see one setting... Morning practice. The lights are still coming on. The ice is cold and hard. That "smell" is in the air. I'm leaning against the boards while standing on the bench. The chill circulates up off the pristine ice below and brushes across my face and is held off my neck by my many layers of coats. Then it happens.... the first guy hits the ice and his sharp blades make those inital couple slices in the fresh ice. Then his stick connects with a puck and sends it shattering against the boards.....

And it has begun. :)

No comments: