Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Porter's Great Adventure

I got the call you never want to get, my neighbor calling to say that my little one is out and is heading towards a busy intersection. I'm at work.

So I immediately call in backups and run to my car, speed all the way home and call my helpful neighbor on the way. He says, "there is a lady out on her run... she is trailing him. He's running from her though."

As I get within a few blocks I call again, I get vectored into their location and I park at the curb. As I get onto the sidewalk I can see our helpful-runner coming my direction... as I look in front of her I see it. A little black speck, running his guts out and barely cresting the small hill.

I yell, "Porter! Come here!" He stops, utter confusion... "What is Mom doing out here in this wierd place? And why is this crazy lady chasing me?"

After I called him again he came and jumped into my arms, gave me a few kisses and then continued to pant his guts out. He had one hell of a run!!

I thanked my neighbors profusely and gave out a few hugs.

My helpful runner-neighbor said that he gave her a good workout! Took her on a new route, hit a hill she wasn't used to, she had to use her arms as she blocked traffic for him to cross the street, etc... and 30 minutes went by so quickly already!

Maybe Porter has a new career ahead of him, Personal Trainer! Not if I have any say... his cute little butt is only leaving the house when I'm attached to it from now on.

I got home, he ran for water, I found the warped part of my new fence that he got out through and blocked it with a huge rock.

I loved on Ike a bit... obviously confused as to what was going on. When I opened the door he was waiting for me, swollen with the expression of, "MOM, PORTER IS GONE. I don't know where he is, and I think that guy next door with the crazy dogs is chasing him."

I got them all tucked in, left out lots of treats and puzzles to keep them occupied and left... hoping that everything will be ok when I return from work.

It does make me feel a bit guilty though, he wouldn't be trying to get out if he didn't feel like he was missing something where he was. I need to be home more. Here come all the "guilty-mom" feelings.....

I snapped this picture before I left... I can't tell if he's longing for another adventure or grateful to have survived the first one.

No comments: