Sunday, July 1, 2012

Who needs Magic Mike when.....????

  Poppa and Owen got hired to work the Spartan Race in Midway, UT yesterday... and they roped me into it. The good news was I was able to tag along with this guy all day!! Yep, that's my stud of a bro Owen, and YES, we are covered in dust/mud... and I do mean COVERED!!

Owen was a roving medic for Phase 2 of the 13-mile course and I was assigned as his sidekick. We had at least half a dozen "obstacles" in our section including cargo nets, sandbag carries, mud crawls, barbed wire crawls, carrying buckets filled with rocks, eight-foot walls to climb over... not to mention trail running, and lots of it.


As we were driving around in our UTV (utility-terrain-vehicle) I quickly realized three things...

1. This was going to a long, hot day for everyone involved.... runners and staff alike.

2. We were going to get REALLY dirty.

3. There was A LOT of eye candy.

I didn't realize that mud runs = little clothing. Makes sense... but I wasn't expecting it!!

I quickly realized that muscles + mud + sweat = FUN!!

So... I got a front row roving seat for this all day....

Crawling under barbed-wire....


and rolling under barbed wire...


and crawling through mud....


and wading through mud...


chopping and throwing...


carrying sandbags...


climbing walls...


and climbing nets...


looking manly...


and finishing...


luckily, lots of finishing.


We had a great time. Quite a unique race that was very impressive to watch. We handed out lots of water, electrolytes and encouragement. Honestly, we didn't see anything too fun (fun = gorey).... but any day with these two is a great day.


Oh, and we found these crazies along the way as well!! They volunteered in registration and the bucket brigade. Dirt and sweat for everyone!!


(Jake, Abby, Pops, Owen, Me)

Our 12-hour day is done... give me some pulled-pork nachos (YUMM!!) and send me home for a shower!

No comments: