Monday, March 21, 2011

I'm a Runner?

Last week I started a 5k training program. I've been a little reluctant to start, thinking maybe I should lose some weight before putting my knees through this, but here I am at the start of week 2 and I'm feeling surprisingly awesome.

Now, I'll admit, at times I think that I might die... like today in the hurricane force winds. To keep myself motivated I try to visualize myself fit and performing well. I try to picture my body the way I want it to be, doing the things I want to do.

The problem is, sometimes I feel like this picture... not matter how hard I try to visualize otherwise.


The thing is, this will change. Today my podcast for my 5k training referred to me as a "runner." It actually spoke to me, calling me a "runner!!" It took a minute for me to realize it was talking to me, qualifying me in this group. I've always wanted to fall in love with running. I've always wanted to be that girl that "had to get her run in today to help clear her mind."

Well, my visualization is this girl below. This is who I want to be eventually. This is the "runner" I picture existing at the end of my training, the runner I strive to be.


So for now I will run, try not to die and fight the winds 3 times a week. I will keep focused on the prize.... and that being a 5k that is scheduled for my birthday, May 7th. I promised myself that this year would be MINE, and how better to prove that than conquering a 5k on my birthday?!?!?

2 comments:

Matt said...

You were a runner years ago as a little girl - do you remember running the mile race? We trained together too! You come from running genes. I ran a lot, as you know, and your mother... runs from running.....so, you've got this genetic affinity about running. You're doing great and I'm proud of you for setting a goal and sticking to it.

Unknown said...

Poppa, I do remember!! I remember being a little long distance runner and LOVING IT!! I remember training with you and also another teenage boy who took me under his wing. I think I had a crush on him, but that's besides the point. :) hehe
Thanks for your encouragement! I loved having you out on the trail the other day, I always wondered when you would see me and I wanted to make sure I was jogging my heart out when you did! haha!