Monday, March 14, 2011

Ballet Technique?!?!?


I've promised myself that I will start dancing again.

I'm not talking about going to the club, I'm talking about DANCING. In a studio. With a teacher. With them walking around and pinching you on your thighs and smacking on your bumm that is sticking out.

I'm talking about an honest to goodness dance class. The kind that starts with a proper warm-up and ends with you peeling sweaty leotards from your skin.

I'm searcing for adult dance classes in the Salt Lake City area and they are NO WHERE!!! Everyone will let you come "take any of the advanced classes you would like", but they don't offer seperate adult classes (except for ballroom). Well, thanks but no thanks -- I'm not going to crash your advanced classes with all the kids in there. When I was 9-10 I was in advanced classes. At 29 years-old if I have to do at-barre work with a 9 year-old in front of me I will never go back.... and that isn't what I want.

Well, I have found a tap class that runs this summer (WAHOOO!!!) and now I have found that Reperatory Dance Theater (rdtutah.org) also offers classes!!

The only problem is that the only class I can make (until my work schedule changes) is BALLET TECHNIQUE.

Umm, that's intimidating right now. I was more thinking a modern class - barefoot - normal clothes - playful - able to get away with less technique.

But BALLET TECHNIQUE?!?!? Now I'm having nightmeres of hair pulled tightly into buns, pink tights, black leotards and teachers with accents swinging around yard sticks. I'm picturing the classical pianist banging out beautiful classical music on the piano as the teachers screams in Russian.

LOL

Ok, probably not that bad.... but now the question is. Am I ready?

I was ready to get back into the studio, but that is when I thought I could use a laid-back Modern class as my jumping off point.

I don't know if I'm enough of a bad-ass to jump right back into BALLET TECHNIQUE.

Ugh, I shudder.

2 comments:

Going Full Hippie said...

usually colleges offer beginner classes, and I can guarantee no 9 year olds there. It sounds like fun, though. I wish I could join you!

becky said...

You can do it. And think you do this class and then maybe the next will be able to do a modern and then it will seem easy again. It might be scary but what an experience. Do you live in slc now?