Tuesday, May 12, 2009

It's My Party and I'll .... Go to the Roller Derby!!

It was my birthday last week and my wonderful family planned a great outing for dinner and the Salt Lake Roller Derby! Awhile back I saw a bumper sticker for the derby and suggested we go and check it out...

First we had a delicious dinner with wonderful conversation and delicious food.

Then we headed over to the Roller Derby!!
Yes, it is every bit as crazy as it looks. I don't even know how to begin describing the enviroment... hopefully the pictures will help me out. I can tell you that it was the most interesting people watching I have done in YEARS!!

The fashion was unique, I probably won't run right out and buy these boots... but they did catch my attention.
The fans were unique. One would think that they would be mostly hard core guys, much like this one that was conversing with "Spank E. Ham".

However, most of them looked like this... and when you combine that with the way the crowd would roar when the announcer asked "who is ready to see hot girls in short skirts beat the hell out of eachother???" it creates a whole different picture.

There were also families, young people, clean cut couples, crazy drunks, a strong LGTB following and even some Japanese tourists sitting right up front with cameras in hand.
Then there were a few fans like this... complete with costumes and signs.

One of the funnest thing about Roller Derby are the names that the ladies choose for themselves. The goal is to have a name that looks like a normal name yet sounds like something else when said aloud. Some names had strong sexual overtones, but not all. Some were plain and simple.... like Miss Swine Flu posted here. Yes, her jersey number is #H1N1

Some other names included: Red Bare N'Ass, Grand Slam Breakfast, Nos, Savage Beast, Spank E. Ham, Donkey Punch, Jack Dupp, Swine Flu, Alevya Suffrin, Ashes to Ashes, Beracooter, Brew Ha Ha (she was my personal favorite), Crucifyher, Miss Mafiosa, Merry Masochist, Skallihag, and Violence Vicksen.
And the Referees: Collin DeShotz, Stu Pidasso, Check'er Assout and his wife Toss'er Assout

I decided my Roller Derby name is Farrah Moan.
All in all we had a good time. But then again, when we are all together we USUALLY have a good time. :)

Here Tuff and I are with the derby floor behind us, just to prove we were there. haha.
Owen and Emily had a good time... They started out calm and reserved.
But after awhile I think all the energy got to him!! haha.

I had a great couple days surrounding my birthday. I was able to have some time off work and get some things done around the house. Owen is working really hard in the back yard and it is looking sooo good!! Now, back to reality... but not without some great memories. Thanks everyone!!

3 comments:

gg said...

This night was probably one of the most interesting that I have had in a very long time! hahaha

Grat food, great entertainment (on nad off the track) and great company! Happy Birthday Sara, I am so happy that you had a great time and made great memories!

gg said...

When I grow up and am a roller derby girl, my name is gonna be 'Hunny Spanked Ham'!

becky said...

I like brew haha also. That is so fun. I hope you had a great time. I wanted to go but I have some family in town. You know how much we love family. I'm glad you had a wonderful birthday. Happy late b day