Friday, September 28, 2012

Where did you get all this steak???

You know the movie Twister? It has one of my favorite movie lines of all time....

The tornado chasers go visit her Aunt in middle-of-nowhere, Kansas. They are all eating steak and eggs. One of the guys asks her aunt, "Where did you get all this steak?" She says, "from the cows out front." He says, "I didn't see any cows out front." She replies with a smile and a strange questioning, funny guteral sound. Yep, no cows out front.... steak. Get it? haha. Love that movie.


I'm currently in Kansas with the men's soccer team and I tell ya what, it is exactly like it is portrayed in that movie. Twister nailed it. Totally Kansas.

As we drive around it is all small town. This is one of the larger towns in Kansas, but it's all small town. There are fields in the middle of town, lots of empty lots. All family run stores and restaurants. The cops still wave at you. Everyone is nice for the most part. Everyone seems content. A few people think they run the place, and oddly enough, they probably do.

There are the wierdys out there. You know the ones. The old lady on the lime-green scooter with the studded leather jacket. No one gives her any trouble, because honestly she is probably related to everyone.... it's just crazy Aunt Jane.

I've lived in small towns like this, I grew up in them. I know how these places work and honestly it's kinda sweet to spend some time here.

Being in Nebraska and Kansas in the past month has made me long a bit for the good rural life. It makes me wonder if it's for me again. It makes me think that it wouldn't' be too hard to have a few chickens, a few goats.... But let's be honest. I don't want to be burdened by that, unless I had a Tall-Dark-and-Handsome to make sure that things were always taken care of (including me).

It's sweet to spend some time here, to drive down the streets and wonder what crops those are growing in the fields.... they aren't the peas, wheat and canola I'm used to from my days in Walla Walla.

Today we played at a small college in a town of less than 900 people. It was a christian college and the soccer field was literally bordered by a farm field on one side. During the warm-up they played christian dub-step, it was the most interesting thing I have ever heard. Thing Dead Mouze (sp?) with the words "Jesus Christ... Listen.... My heart for Jesus" thrown in the mix.

Yeah, weird stuff happens.... believe everything Dorothy and Toto tell you.

With that being said, we are off to dinner at Chili's.... a little bit of normalcy will be nice.

Oh, and may I recommend Twister for family movie night? It's a good one.

No comments: