Thursday, August 30, 2012

Hand over my heart, tugging on heart strings.

Seven years, can you believe it has been that long? Seven years since I lost an athlete on the ice, during a game, and it changed my life forever.
 
I was thinking of him last Saturday and Sunday, during the national anthem at our collegiate soccer games. I always think of him during the national anthem, because for three years after his death, every time I heard that National Anthem this was my view. 


 
We hung his retired number right next to the American flag, and as I looked at the flag and banner side by side the sting of that horrid night came back.
 
Now every time I cover my heart and listen to this powerful anthem, I think of him. I'll admit, the memory isn't quite as stinging anymore, but it still comes.... and I hope it always does.
 
His death changed my life. It made me question this career, it made me question my life. It changed the way I choose to live.
 


I am grateful for his memory, I am grateful for the love and friendship of his family. I am grateful for how my life has changed to follow his lead to never pass up an opportunity to do something great.
 
So, Jax, yes.... I think of you often, especially as I stand with my hand over my heart. Old habits die hard.
 
To read more about this great man, see www.rockonjaxon.com

No comments: