Friday, February 17, 2012

The Power of Sleep


One night's rest. It's an incredible thing.

Last night I could hardly climb the stairs to my room. I had done a circuit weight-training workout that morning and spinning class that evening. My body was tired, and my legs were worse.

I collapsed into bed and groaned as I had to roll-over. Miraculously this morning I feel fantastic.

I'm proud of my body. I'm proud of everything it's been through and I'm impressed with how well it is keeping up.

We have had our struggles. Just last week we finally got a few answers and started thyroid medication and I am feeling MUCH MUCH better. Before I felt like a walking zombie, and to hear my family talk about it I think that description is about accurate. Today I'm feeling a whole hell of a lot better. I have energy again and that is something I have missed deeply.

I am working out hard and my body is showing the signs. We haven't been losing weight as quickly as we have hoped (we are hoping this thyroid thing is the missing piece) but we have been changing my body, that is for damn sure. I have dropped a pant size. I have lost 23 pounds since last summer. I took measurements the other day and was pleasantly suprised. Since the end of October I have lost 3.5 inches in my shoulders, an inch in my chest, 2.5 inches in my waist, an inch in my hips, an inch in each thigh and an inch in each calf. That's not bad!! Not as much as I would have hoped (especially in the actual pounds coming off), but it tells me that my body is healthier and stronger now than it has been..... and that is the ultimate goal!

I have a lot of big goals for my triathlons this year and my first race is less than three months away... yikes! I need to work harder on my running, I feel my swimming is doing well and I feel like I am busting my ass in spinning class to get a strangle hold on this bike course.... so things are coming together!

The other day during my swim I got to thinking... you can do a lot of thinking when you are face down in a pool for 30 minutes... and I realized that I have an OPEN WATER SWIM in two of my races this year!! I have to wear goggles and swim with my head down in open water!! I don't think I want to see what is under there! LOL... this will be a whole new beast for me. Looks like I have some more training to do, maybe some sports psychology work this time! :)

No comments: