Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Friendship

I'm reading a book where a group of men get to discussing friendship. One of them says, "Being friends is like being soldiers in the army. You live together; you fight together; you die together." I couldn't agree more. One of the things I regret in this life is that I have dear, dear, dear friends in this world that probably don't know how special they are to me. I don't call or write nearly as often as I should. I let things slip between the cracks. But I hope they know this..... when shit hits the fan, I'm here. I would hope and expect nothing less out of a true friendship. I've walked away from friendships for this very reason. I've had close friends fail to stand up for me (or my family) and to me that was a deal breaker. End of story. End of friendship. If you don't have my back, that isn't friendship. The friends I cherish are the ones that I always call to debrief with on dates. The ones that I always share work trips with (free vacay!!). The ones that are always up for last minute sushi runs. The ones that remember the inside jokes and we can seriously laugh until we can't breathe. The ones that I can always turn to for advice, or just to tell me that I'm actually sane. The ones that wait silently in the wings, but when I need them, they are there. I have some incredible friends. I have friends that picked me up by my belt loops when the world kicked me in the teeth last year. I owe a lot to them. It's friends like that for whom this quote is written. "Being friends is like being soldiers in the army. You live together; you fight together; you die together."