Sunday, October 17, 2010

YARD SALE!! EVERYTHING GOES!!

Last night I finished up my first ever yard sale... and it was a HUGE SUCCESS.

I'm not going to lie, it was TONS of work, my feet are STILL sore... but I had a great time when all was said and done.

It took a ton of work to get everything pulled into the front yard, arranged well and priced individually; but I got it done and everything went suprisingly smooth.

I really enjoyed being outside for two whole days straight. I had tons of fun chatting with people, meeting people in the neighborhood, watching social dynamics of families, etc. Is it crazy to say that I enjoyed the social aspect of it?? Well, I did. :)

I also really enjoyed getting rid of a lot of stuff! I was open for a day and a half. Friday morning was all prep, Friday afternoon we were open for business!! I tarped all my stuff Friday night and left it out... then dark and early Saturday morning I was open for business again! It started off a bit chilly (alright, FREEZING outside) but it warmed up and the weather was great.

I sold all day Saturday, after about 1pm I started making everything half off. At four we sent out an email on free-cycle (a email group that can post things for free) and told them everything left at the garage sale was free, first come first serve. I grabbed a few things I would rather reclaim than give away for free and the rest of it was gone by 8:00 pm!!! I don't even have to load anything up for a trip to DI, AWESOME!

By the end of last night I had the garage sale cleaned up, all the stuff GONE!! I also had the garage reorganized with everything that was taken out and the few things put back. I had the house whipped into the same shape... including a load of laundry and dishes!! I picked tomatos and prepped those for the freezer. I did the same thing with the 2 dozen DELICIOUS tamales I bought Saturday from the lovely lady at the post office (see earlier post) and one of my customers at the garage sale.

Last night I was even able to spend some time with my sister... what a great day!!

I feel INCREDIBLY accomplished and am VERY pleased with my weekend.

When I was setting up for the garage sale I was paranoid that I had "junk" and that I was overpricing; but Pops and Abby both stopped by and assured me otherwise. Poppa said, "Sweetheart, this stuff is definately priced to sell." and apparently so!! On Saturday I had multiple people come back twice (or more) and bring people with them. One couple told me, "We have been to every garage sale in Provo this morning and yours is definately the best."

WAHOO!! SUCCESS!!

So, needless to say, I'm pleased.

I need to give a shoutout and a HUGE THANKS to Owen, who took his only morning he could have slept in with his girlfriend and instead came to help me lug all the heavy stuff to the front yard. And also to Poppa, who hung all my signs around town and got me change when I was running around like a mad woman trying to get everything priced. Ohh, and Abby and Winter for keeping me company and being such fun "customers." Thanks everyone!!

Today I'm doing a bit more laundy, a bit more ebay, need to run to the post office to mail some ebay/amazon packages I have already sold and then wrapping a present for Hope and Trey's first anniversary. Can you believe that!! Geez, it feels like it's been longer than a year...

No comments: